Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I need a vacation.

I'm having a crabby day. Actually a couple of crabby days, I guess. Or maybe I'm depressed, and covering it as crabby. It started yesterday afternoon when I refereed a discussion between two of the people who work for me.

There are deep divisions in my department. I thought I'd done some good stuff to close them, but found out yesterday that all the work I've done for the last 9 months is just frosting on the otherwise badly deformed cake... and very thin frosting at that.

My department used to be two departments. It's been one for a couple of years now, but there is still very much an "us vs. them" mentality. It pops up in the oddest ways. One person will say "Well, I would have done thus and so, if only THEY had told me." They being the guy who used to work for the other department. I explain AGAIN that THEY aren't responsible for this... that YOU are now responsible for this, and I expect YOU to do YOUR job. Then THEY say "Well, THAT PERSON did this without asking me." And I explain that THAT is THEIR JOB.

I dunno... maybe it *is* depression. Maybe I'm a much better technical person than I am a manager. It frustrates the hell out of me ... and makes me angry... that people can't see... or I'm not communicating... the "vision" of what this department should be... telepathy would be handy.

10 months and I'm tired and frustrated.

I had a philosophical discussion last night... short and intense. What is fate cruel? Fate is cruel because you aren't paying attention to gentler hints. hummmm

2 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't do subtle real well...especially when it pertains to me.

I think it's because I'm male.

~Raist

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. im not sure exactly what to say. i have never been good with words, ask previous poster. the rivalry still exists i see. people dont like change real well. massive change was handed down. grudges can last for a long time. some grease on the bearnigs and a light foot on the clutch can help when changing gears. lack of lubrication creates heat. heat rises. if a heat shield didnt come with the job i would be talking with the guys in the basement. i think it comes with the job. wish you the best! hope to meet you.
rwhall

 

Post a Comment

<< Home